February 10 2011

Unknown Species

Unknown Species

IMG_0792-copy1.jpg

IMG_0791-copy2.jpg

IMG_0789-copy1.jpg

I need a little help in identifying this bird.  I’ve never seen one like it before, a quick check through the bird web site www.allaboutbirds.org didn’t help.  Anyone recognize this bird?

8 Responses to “Unknown Species”

1. Jasmine says:

I think it looks like a starling.They are very common here.

Hi Jasmine, You know I looked at a picture of a starling but the bill was black, where this one had a yellow bill. I think that’s what threw me off thinking it was a starling. I wonder if it’s a juvenile? I don’t know

3. Jasmine says:

You never know it might be a Shetland starling.

Hi Jasmine, thanks interesting bird to say the least. I was reading a little bit of the history of how the birds came to be in the USA. Started out with a few birds brought to New York and released in Central Park as to this one source I was reading.

5. munford says:

If this little guy has a really short tail, they come here to eat when all the grackles come to. They are so easy to spot when they are walking around my backyard with all the grackles because of their spots and stubby tail and the colors of their beaks and legs. I have always wondered what kind of bird they were. I never thought about a starling! Didn’t know we had starlings in this area. They leave when the grackles leave and come when the grackles come. There are never very many of them in a flock of grackles.

6. Pete and Barb says:

According to Cornell University’s website /www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/European_Starling/id, starlings in winter plumage can include brilliant white spots. They have photos on the site you might want to check.

7. Jojo says:

Over here, starlings have yellow beak in summer. I love them because even they are very common, they are great imitators and even do ring tones from cell phones.

They roost in large groups for the night in tall trees and before going to sleep, tell each other stories of the adventures they had that day.