May 22 2010

California Beach Squirrels of Morro Bay

California Ground Squirrels

6941.jpg

There is a large colony of these ground squirrels who inhabit the rocks of the breakwater at Morro Rock and bay.  They were all out sunning themselves at times when we were there.

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “California Beach Squirrels of Morro Bay”

Tehe he’s looking @ you kinda like the way Bubba use to when Bubba was asking:hey PaPa were’s the good stuff
    you know the pecan halfs

2. munford says:

What size squirrels are they, Bob? He looks large but that could just be due to the close up pic of him. He is darker than my TX squirrels. Do they live on and among the rocks. What is there food source there in the wild?
    I know what your food source would be for him!!!

3. munford says:

Oops- you said a large colony so do they all get along well or are they territorial within their colony?

Cute. And friendly-looking. The word is out that you’re around, Bob.

They are as big as a grey squirrel or a foxer even. They have burrows all among the rocks of the breakwater. Food source is a question, I don’t see any obvious food sources. There is dune area that is full of wild plants, which may be the source of the food supply that I’m not aware of.

Diet: These common ground squirrels eat a broad range of seeds, berries and leaves of grasses, forbs, and wood plants. They also eat bulbs, tubers, insects and road-killed carrion. They have internal cheek pouches that they use for transporting food to their burrows.

I goggled it here’s the link=http://www.thesquirrelcam.com/2010/05/22/california-beach-squirrels-of-morro-bay/#comments

I hope I don’t get in trouble for cutting & pasting what they eat in here

Whoops wrong link let me try it again===http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/mammals/sper-bee.html
    now this one should work I’m keepin my fingers crossed

That worked, Charles, but it needed to be cut and pasted. If you put a space on either side of the url it should show up highlighted and just need a click. It has to be free-standing. By using a character (in this case, the =) before it without a space makes the computer see the = as part of the link.

From what I understand, if you cut and paste a phrase or two it’s ok as long as you give credit or a link. Which you did. I don’t think Bob minds.

Thank you Z this old dog needs all the help he can get I’m not use to cut & paste I’m sure Bob don’t mind after all I
    was trying to answer munford’s question