August 17 2009

Trip to San Antonio

Our trip to San Antonio wasn’t  uneventful by any means.  The back upper shelf in the back of the RV gave way and fell off.  To many rough jolts and after looking at the construction, not very well made I’m afraid to say, more like shoddy workmanship.  The folks who were doing the actual work looks like they were in a big hurry and didn’t take time to do a good job.   Other little odds and ends, like bad drawer locks that won’t hold them from opening.  The shower stall let loose of one side where it’s attached.  Nothing really major but just small annoyances that drive one crazy.  Like the cowling that covers the king pin assemble, a screw backed out and the cowling was flapping in the wind.  I tried to seat another screw but I’ll have to buy one with bigger threads to seat it better.  I remember the gentleman I met there in North Pole, who had a Denali, which is made by the same company called Thor Industries.  He mentioned to me, that there was several things that he had to reinforce and drawers was one of them.  Thank goodness it’s under warranty but I’ll still do some reinforcing of the way it’s put together.  I’ve got some pictures in the camera I’ll post this evening or tomorrow.  I got that generator in the back of the pickup but haven’t run it until today.  We also built a cord for it that would reach from it to the back of the RV allowing me to plug it in if we are at a rest stop or the boonies camping.  It’s just trying to get our stuff in order, our ducks in a row, or our poop in a pile.  Sooner or later we will get there.

9 Responses to “Trip to San Antonio”

1. ClarkGable says:

Dude, I’ve been living in an RV for almost 8 years and I could write a book on the shoddy construction of these things! We’ve basically remodeled this thing from top to bottom to make it more livable. In a few weeks, you’ll realize the people who designed the RV probably never set foot in an RV, we’ve found things aren’t nearly as functional in the long run as they were intended to be. Life in an RV isn’t all bad, it just takes a LOT of getting used to! Good luck and have fun with your new home!

2. Melissa says:

Good luck to you guys! Have been missing the chats etc. Hope you guys get everything situated and all the quirks worked out. My in-laws have a fifth wheel and it has been the same thing and theirs is a cadillac of RV’s, so don’t feel bad. Take care of yourselves and enjoy the San Antonio area!

Bob that’s a bummer kinda sounds like there boss was Larry the Cable Guy (get-er done)& hurry up while your at it.If I was you I’d call the dealership were you bought it & raise cain with them

4. Jojo_of_borg says:

I wish you tranquility and patience… I’ll mentally send some good karma your way.

Bob don’t be like me because when I get my poop in a pile 8 out of 10 times I forget were the heck pile is located

Bob I can tell you are frustrated. I know it is going to take awhile to get the kinks out. Like you said though….. it is good you still hae a warranty. Just keep lots of string and duct tape handy and you can fix anything!
    Don’t forget to remember the hard times of getting started on your journey, one day they will read like a comic book. You will wonder how you ever got through it. My thoughs and prayers are with you guys!!

7. Crystal says:

Dad remember the teachings of the great Jedi master.
    Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side. Used wisely it will hold the universe together!!!!
    And hopefully your RV too!

heehee

Sounds like a rocky start…hope all works out. Thank God you still have a warranty.

9. brad says:

as the salesman and a new friend????? i hope all is well i know that things can be hard at first but a lot of my full timers seem to love life on the road. i dont know if they get use to fixing things or at some point everything is fixed lol. when ever you are in the dealer ship look me up and i will do what i can. your new friend and bloger buddy brad kimler mcclains rv