June 20 2009

Bubba was on the Feeder

Bubba Came By For A Bite To Eat

06200922.jpg

Bubba was on the feeder today, he was hungry and you should have seen him sneaking up to it.  He was looking for those little girls.  Making sure they were not around so he could grab a bite to eat in peace.

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Bubba was on the Feeder”

1. Bravo says:

He looks great… apart from the crumbs all over his whiskers, of course. =D Just as wise and healthy as always.

2. Munford says:

Awwww- great to see Bubba. He looks so good too. I am so happy to see him looking well and fit. He is truly a “Star.” Bubba rocks!
    Tell those little girls to be nice to Bubba or go to the neighbors’ houses to live. Long live our Star Bubba! They need to leave our Bubba alone! You said he had chased off all the young male squirrels. What is wrong with the ladies not wanting a handsome guy like this hanging around?
    Bob do you have many young baby squirrels there now? I do here eating on the feeder all the time. They are so little and cute right now!
    Hope you take a day off chores and chopping wood and have a very restful, peaceful Happy Father’s Day!

Munford, I wish I could say I had some young baby squirrels around but they are sadly missing here on the ranch this year. I’ve only seen one young squirrel this season. I’m not sure why either. I wish I knew. It could be because that the Red Squirrel population is on the decline in this area. It’s because of the Spruce Bud Worm infestations that have destroyed all cone production on the spruce trees in this part of the forest I think.

That’s awful about the Spruce Bud Worm and how it’s affecting the baby squirrels. Is there no cone production at all? Would this really cold winter you had this year diminish the damage a little bit by killing the worm?

It’s good to see Bubba. His scar seems to be healing very well. I hope the girls don’t scare him away for good. He’s good breeding stock. (grin) After all, he’s proven that he’s top squirrel. Perhaps the females want to claim your feeders as they know that there will be food for their young.

I hope you’re having a happy Father’s Day.

Yes Z, I’m afraid the cone production in the last 3 years has been nothing. It’s causing major starvation and decline in the squirrel populations. I think it’s why these little girls have compressed their ranges and are competing so hard with Bubba. I also believe it’s the reason he gave up so easily to them. Female squirrels have been known to give up their Middens to their offspring so they will have a better chance of survival. I think that is exactly what Bubba has done in letting them control the feeders.

6. Annie says:

I am so sad for the squirrels. I am really worried. If the squirrels have problems, a lot of animals will have difficulties surviving. I am not talking just about animals who feed on squirrels but a wide array of animals who feed on cones too. A world without these little bundles of energy (squirrels) is a very lonely world indeed.

Annie, I certainly agree, it would be a very very sad place indeed.

8. C.E. Murray says:

How fabulous to see this! A good bit of refreshment shared by a healthy looking, bright-eyed local. I hope they realize they’re lucky you do this but of course you know….THEY DO NOT. We love them anyway!

So sorry to hear about the cone production, wish there was something we could do. Bubba sure looks well, thank goodness, lol! You would think that all the young ladies would want Bubba.